Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Yoga, yoga, yoga, do

In this cyber age of Face Book boasting, Twitter gloating, and shameless confessional blogging, any action that requires solitary introspection would appear to be out of fashion.  However, isn't the sole purpose of yoga is to lead the yogi / yogini through an inner journey onto the self & its connection with the universe?

Often, on Face Book, a person, requesting to become my "Friend" will pose the question;"What kind of yoga do you practice?"  i take my reply from Patanjali, "Yoga is the settling of the mind into silence."

The asanas of Hatha Yoga are designed to aid the yogi / yogini to condition the physical body through this journey.  I've been practicing yoga for 18 years and I have studied in many studios with many teachers, under many methods and I have found that no matter what style, or studio one practices , yoga is a journey we take alone and can be the opening of a whole new world of awareness but the choice comes from the soul of the yogi / yogini.

5 comments:

Naturegirl said...

Yoga is a form of meditation for me. I do about 1/2 hr. in the early hrs.upon rising and it sets me up for a productive day!
I am not of FB nor twitter..blogging takes enough of my time.Why complicate my day.
Simple is best..I'd rather sit and watch the birds at the feeders.Now that calms my mind and spirit.

Cat said...

I agree with Naturegirl I have been off or my meditation practice, but I'm planning to return, I keep going to class and I've finally found a blended practice that works for me.

I need an fb vacation myself, perhaps when I restart my practice.

goatman said...

I guess it was yoga I was attempting when "the cobra" gave me such a muscle pull in my chest that I feared some sort of internal injury -- took months to heal.
I since have stuck to swimming and meditation (sitting)

Reeta Skeeter said...

:)

sage said...

I have often wondered about yoga--I do mediate and my time of connection with myself is during walking or being on the water.