Saturday, August 27, 2011

"What we have here, is a lack of communication"



"Submission to everything, open, listening" - Jack Keronac

I once heard a New Age female preacher state, that listening is one of the greatest act of love. There is so much truth in that statement, for how often have you been fighting with a love one and you found yourself shouting at them:"You're not listening to me!" ?

Why do you think people are so willing to dish out $100 dollars an hour to an therapist, just so they can talk to a person , who will just sit back an LISTEN!

One of the most frustrating things a person can do to me, that makes me want to stick a fork in their neck, is to cut me off before I finish a sentence, so they can jump in with their opinion! It's maddening!

The art of listening is also a sign of great intelligence! Any fool can have an opinion but an intelligent person, sits back, observes and listens!

Last night, while having dinner with my friend Steve, at a little cafe in Old Towne Pasadena, there was a very young,attractive, Japanese couple sitting next to us. It was Friday night, Date Night, but these two young people were more involved with their Smart Phones than they were with each other! She was on her Face Book page-heaven only knows what she was texting on it, and he was playing some game on his Apple IPhone! They spoke only a few words to each other, even when their food arrived they barely spoke a word to each other!

I turned to my friend and said:"If they are so involved with their cell phones now, when they are young and in love, can you imagine what they are going to be like 20 years from now, when the mystery of love has faded and they are all too familiar with each other? Most women don't bitch about being neglected until two years after marriage. But the norm of ignoring one another has already been set! What is the bridge that brings these two lovely people together? Sex? And after sex, do they pick up their Smart Phones and text about it?

Has this new technology taken away the art of true communication?

4 comments:

red dirt girl said...

I blog, but I loathe facebook / twitter and anything I'd need google for on my cell phone! It's a bold statement, I know, but I prefer real live conversation when out with my loved one or even just sitting in peaceful silence with one another. The world is so 'jangly' with gadgets and noise. Listening with one's heart and soul is an art!

xxx

goatman said...

I guess just enjoying each others company is sufficient.

boneman said...

you're teasing me, aren't you?
Not in a stalker sort of way, but, rather, by posting photos tyhat absolutely grab my attention and create a vortex into which my brain falls.

Almost like putting a third blackberry cell phone gadget on the table with the two electronic wizards.
Of course, Steve, ...uh, the only thing I could think of to ask him would be, "is that Monet's bridge?"

d=^))

John Myste said...

I tried to listen. I really did. I got this far:

One of the most frustrating things a person can do to me, that makes me want to stick a fork in their neck,...

I just could not go any further because my phone is ringing. Do I get partial credit?

OK, I now have a missed call. I would finish the article, which held my attention fully until it was interrupted by the phone, which I say was ringing, but really a song was playing.

The song means: "someone is calling," though.

I have to return that call now.