Monday, October 6, 2008

A grave man

 

Oh joy, rapture, Neil Gaiman is in town doing a reading this evening from his "Graveyard Book" in Santa Monica, and even through it's just a 35 minute drive down the 405 freeway for me, I won't be attending. Unlike must writers, whenever Neil Gaiman reads his own work his words come to life and take on an air of magic and enchantment! He's more then just a writer reading his work, he becomes a performance artist! His fans are also just darling and interesting but all so young! Most under the age of 21! When I went to see him two (?) three years ago at Vorman's Book store I felt like I was a chaperon at a high-school prom! I felt so old! No thank you! Besides, it's been a long hot day; and I'm in no mood to stand hours in line to wait for the creative genius to sign my book and land up driving home down the 405 as late as 11:00 p.m. or beyond! Once again , no thank you! Still, I'm thrilled whenever Neil Gaiman is in town, for he's always been a lucky charm for me. Last time he was in town I met a a wonderful man the very next day and lost my heart to him. The man is now in India but we're still good friends. So if anyone decides to attend the event please take photos and post them on line!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Cat said...

If I were a bit closer!

Anonymous said...

I hope the good luck rubs off for you yet again.

cherry girl said...

I've just been listening to his reading of the graveyard book over on his blog - there's a video of each chapter (up to chapter 6 so far) at each place he reads at! Fab! I'd love to see him in person though

Suzie Ridler said...

I do not know this author, how can that be? He sounds right up my alley. I will have to check him out of the library.

I know, attending stuff that makes you feel old is so depressing. I'd love to go see Green Day but I'm always so much older than the kids that go.

Princess in Galoshes said...

How have I not heard of this author??? I will go out and look up the book immediately.